The California State Assembly District Office Internship Program offers high school and college students a unique opportunity to participate in and experience the work of a state assembly office. The program exposes students to district office operations and the grassroots activities of a legislator’s work. These experiences include working with constituents, conducting community outreach efforts, assisting community-based organizations, organizing civic events and projects, database development and upkeep, staffing the office, and other activities.
Internships are available to all part-time or full-time students 151/2 years of age or older. Depending on their high school or college programs, students may also receive different types of school credits for participating as an intern.
Many legislators and senior policy staff began their careers by interning in a district office. It is an invaluable way to gain a true understanding of California’s democratic process, as well as an excellent opportunity to make important contacts while serving the community.
Interns will gain valuable education and work experience by fully participating in agreed-upon hours of work. All internship work is voluntary and students will not receive any monetary compensation.
We are seeking candidates with a strong interest in public policy, community organizing, writing, political science, economics, communications, public relations or a similar area of study. Applicants with these areas of interest will find the State Assembly internship a rewarding and fulfilling experience.
- Interest in local and state issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines simultaneously
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Assist in research and planning of upcoming events and projects
- Research issues in response to community inquiries
- Assist with office procedures, routine correspondence, telephone inquiries and special projects
- Fluency in second language is beneficial
How to Apply:
If you are interested in participating in the 41st Assembly District Office Internship Program, you may submit your application online by filling out the required fields below, or click here to complete your application by hand.
As space becomes available, qualified candidates will be invited for an interview. Thank you for your interest in this very unique opportunity to serve your community. We look forward to your participation. If you have any questions, please call (626) 351-1917.